Ingredients (1½ Cups):
- 2 cups basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (45g) toasted pine nuts (optional)
- 1/3 cup (35g) finely grated parmesan
- ½ cup (125ml) olive oil, plus extra
- Place the basil, garlic, pine nuts and parmesan in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped. (Alternatively, place ingredients in a mortar and pound with a pestle until well combined).
- With the motor running, gradually add the oil in a thin, steady stream until well combined and a smooth paste forms. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to an airtight container and pour over a little extra oil to cover the pesto surface (this will prevent the basil from oxidising and turning black).