Total Time: 1 hour 40
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Marinating Time: 1 Hour
Makes +- 24 Nuggets
Serving Size: 4 Nuggets
- 900 g chicken breasts cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbs milk
- cooking spray
Prepare the chicken:
- Mix together salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Place chicken cubes in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, turn to coat with oil.
- Add 2 tsp of the spice mixture and stir to coat (save the rest of the spice mixture to use later).
- Cover and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours or at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Make the chicken nuggets:
- Preheat oven to 205 degrees C. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and grease it by spraying with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining spice mixture and breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Place ½ cup flour in a plastic bag. Add marinated chicken pieces and shake to coat. (Alternatively, you can put the chicken in a large, clean dry bowl, add flour and stir until evenly coated).
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk.
- Dip each floured piece of chicken into the egg mixture, then into the breadcrumb mixture, space evenly on the prepared wire rack on the baking sheet.
- Spray the tops of the chicken nuggets with cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until internal temperature is 70 degrees C on an instant-read thermometer.
- Serve warm with your favourite dipping sauces.
- Breadcrumbs. Any variety works well, we enjoy panko breadcrumbs or regular. You can make your own easily, and I give instructions on how to do so in the recipe card.
- All-purpose flour. Gluten-free all-purpose flour can be used in place of regular flour.
- Smoked paprika. Any ground paprika variety works well in this recipe.
How do you get batter to stick to chicken?
The trick to this is dipping the chicken into flour first, then dipping it into the egg and then the breadcrumbs.
How do you cut a chicken breast into nuggets?
Cut the chicken breast in half lengthwise to make two thin pieces, then cut those pieces into 1″ cubes.