Die artikel is ook beskikbaar in Afrikaans
This supplement has heaps of health benefits
MSM is regarded as a popular dietary supplement used to treat a variety of ailments. It is found in both fauna and flora and can be synthesized in laboratories in powder or capsule form.
It is prominently used in alternative medicines as part of natural remedies to help alleviate joint pain, boost energy levels, reduce inflammation, and enhance natural immunities.
In this article we will look at eight science-backed benefits of MSM as a dietary supplement:
1. MSM can decrease joint pain
One of the most important and popular uses of MSM is for the relief of joint and body pain. In clinical trials, it has been shown to be beneficial for the treatment of joint degeneration which is a prominent cause of pain associated with various joints in the human body like the hips, back, knees and, hands. The joint pain associated with degeneration may have severe repercussions leading to reduced mobility and movement which may adversely impact your quality of life.
In clinical studies, MSM has been shown to drastically reduce inflammation in patients by retarding the breakdown of cartilage (a flexible tissue found at the base of joints to reduce friction between bones).
2. MSM has anti-inflammatory effects
Scientists agree that MSM has many anti-inflammatory effects. One such effect of MSM is the increase in glutathione levels which is an extremely potent anti-inflammatory produced by the body. MSM may also play a prominent role in the reduction of inflammation-causing molecules in the body.
3. MSM can speed up recovery from strenuous activity by reducing muscle damage and stress
During strenuous activity such as exercise, muscle damage will occur as muscle fibers are often torn during exercise. Oxidative stress levels will also increase. As a byproduct of strenuous exercise, muscle soreness or pain is often experienced which may impact an athlete’s performance and training negatively.
MSM is a prime catalyst in the natural speeding up of muscle recovery after strenuous or intensive training by reducing inflammation as well as oxidative stress. MSM has also been shown to reduce pain due to prolonged exercise.
4. MSM helps alleviate symptoms associated with arthritis by reducing pain and stiffness
Arthritis is a commonly experienced inflammatory condition that is known to cause pain, stiffness, and a reduction in a person’s range of joint motion. As mentioned previously, MSM has powerful anti-inflammatory properties and is a natural alternative to reduce arthritis-related symptoms and help with the physical function of joints.
It also helps to enhance other commonly used supplements to treat arthritis such as:
- Glucosamine Sulfate,
- Chondroitin Sulfate
- Boswellic Acid.
5. MSM may help relieve allergy symptoms
Allergic rhinitis is caused by allergic reactions and may manifest in various ways such as the watering of your eyes, sneezing, a runny nose and nasal congestion or blockage. This is often brought on by animal dander, pollen, and fungal molds (spores). A common bodily reaction to the various inflammatory allergens is the release of a multitude of other inflammatory substances within the human body such as prostaglandins and cytokines which may have rather unpleasant symptoms or side effects.
Clinical studies have shown that MSM may be effective in the reduction of the symptoms of allergic rhinitis by either reducing the physical reaction caused by the various allergens by lowering inflammation or by inhibiting the release of cytokines and prostaglandins.
6. MSM has been shown to boost immunity and thereby helping you stay healthy
The human immune system is a highly specialized network of tissues, cells and organs that aid in the prevention of illness and disease in the body but can be weakened by factors such as stress, a poor diet, illness, inadequate sleep as well as inactivity. MSM is regarded as being highly effective in the reduction of oxidative stresses and inflammation responsible for the weakening of immunities as it is rather proficient in the reduction of inflammatory compounds and thereby reducing stresses on the immune system.
MSM also helps your body create glutathione, which is the bodies’ master antioxidant.
7. MSM may play a role in the improvement of skin health
Keratin is a protein found in the human body which acts as the main structural component of hair, nails, and skin. It contains high levels of the amino acid cysteine. It is also a sulfur-containing amino acid.
MSM may be beneficial to your skin health by giving sulfur to keratin which in turn may strengthen this valuable protein. Cell damage and premature signs of aging, such as wrinkles, can be reduced because of MSM’s effect on keratin and the supplement’s anti-inflammatory effects.
8. MSM may have cancer-fighting properties
Some of the latest studies done on MSM focus on its effectiveness in fighting cancer cells. The research shows some promising results but is still rather limited.
MSM is generally regarded as being safe and tolerable showing little to no side effects, however some individuals my experience mild reactions if they are highly sensitive to MSM such as nausea, bloating and diarrhea. It may also cause mild skin and eye irritation. However, the benefits of this supplement are far-reaching – form helping your skin stay healthy to fighting allergies. Hopefully, in the future, more evidence will be discovered about the effects of this supplement – specifically its effects on cancer cells.
How does Manna MSM work?
MSM’s effect on pain is due to the following actions on the body:
- It is a natural pain killer, and works by blocking the conduction of pain impulses through nerve fibers.
- MSM prevents inflammation by increasing the activity of cortisol, which is a natural anti-inflammatory chemical produced in the body.
- MSM improves the absorption of nutrients such as vitamins, and speeds up the elimination of excessive cellular fluids and waste products from the body. This is achieved by increasing the permeability of the cell membrane.
- It enhances blood circulation through the body by dilating blood vessels. This further helps in healing by increasing the elimination of waste products from the body.
- MSM is a muscle relaxant and alleviates pain by reducing chronic muscle tension, which aggravates many types of chronic pains.
- MSM boosts the immune system by regulating the formation of antibodies, immune complexes and the metabolism of prostaglandins.
Benefits of Manna MSM:
One of the most remarkable benefits of MSM is its action as an effective pain reliever. For this reason, MSM is used to combat different types of chronic pain such as:
- Lower back pain
- Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Tennis elbow and other sports injuries
- RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury)
- Muscle aches
- Scars due to burns, operations, accidents,
- Personal injury due to accidents, burns, etc
- Carpal Syndrome
- Headaches and migraines