Ratatouille is a healthy Italian vegetable dish served with pasta.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 red onion
- 1 large egg plant/aubergine
- 2 medium zucchinis/courgettes
- 1 green bell pepper
- ¼ bottle red wine
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Chop the onions, egg plant (aubergine), zucchinis (courgettes) and peppers into ¾ inch square pieces. Fry the onion for a few minutes in a little olive oil.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and the crushed garlic and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add the wine, thyme and stir gently whilst on a low heat.
- Mix in the tomatoes then add the bay leaves on top. Cover the pan and leave it to simmer on a low heat for 45 minutes stirring occasionally. 10 minutes before serving stir in the balsamic vinegar.
- Serve with approximately 60g pasta and topped with low fat parmesan or a similar cheese. I used spaghetti but any will kind of pasta will do.