Easy Vegan recipe using cauliflower and soya milk for a white sauce and canned lentils as filling
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans lentils, drained, rinsed
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp mushroom ketchup
- 1 tsp chopped oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 2 cauliflower heads, broken into florets
- 2 tbsp unsweetened soya milk
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 9 dried egg-free lasagne sheets
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion, carrot and celery, and gently cook for 10-15 mins until soft.
- Add the garlic, cook for a few mins, then stir in the lentils and cornflour.
- Add the tomatoes plus a canful of water, the mushroom ketchup, oregano, stock powder and some seasoning. Simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the cauliflower in a pan of boiling water for 10 mins or until tender. Drain, then purée with the soya milk using a hand blender or food processor. Season well and add the nutmeg.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas
- Spread a third of the lentil mixture over the base of a ceramic baking dish, about 20 x 30cm. Cover with a single layer of lasagne, snapping the sheets to fit.
- Add another third of the lentil mixture, then spread a third of the cauliflower purée on top, followed by a layer of pasta.
- Top with the last third of lentils and lasagna, followed by the remaining purée.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 35-45 mins, removing the foil for the final 10 mins of cooking.