Ingredients (Makes 4½ Cups):
- 1.5kg green cabbage, cored, finely shredded, plus 1 extra large green leaf
- 1 tablespoons fine salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Using hands, rub cabbage until cabbage wilts and renders juices (this will take about 5 minutes).
- Place in a 2L large mason jar with a wide opening. Press down firmly until cabbage is compacted, air has been pushed out and cabbage is well covered with juices.
- Top shredded cabbage with cabbage leaf to stop pieces of cabbage floating to surface.
- Place a closed jar filled with weights or stones to weigh down the cabbage leaf. Cover with a clean cloth and hold cloth in place with a large elastic.
- Stand the jar in a cool place for 3 days. Check sauerkraut to see if it is fermented enough to your taste.
- Store in fridge. Drain well before using.