Ingredients (6 servings):
- 6 (350g) brown pickling onions, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- ¼ cup Vegetable stock
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Cut pickling onions in half lengthways. Remove skin. Trim ends, leaving base intact.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion, turning, for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden.
- Add vinegar and sugar. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add stock and thyme. Cook, covered, brushing with vinegar mixture, for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
- Add green onion. Toss to combine.
Tip: Leaving base intact keeps onion layers together during cooking. Pickling onions are sweet tasting baby brown onions. You could use small brown onions instead. Serve with roast beef or lamb.