Ingredients (serves 4):
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 125ml (½ cup) extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup roughly chopped basil
- 1 large (600g) eggplant, cut into 5mm-thick slices
- 1 large potato, peeled, thinly sliced width wise
- 1 large (350g) zucchini (baby marrow), thinly sliced into rounds
- 4 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 40g gruyere (or any strong and matured cheddar cheese or parmesan), thinly sliced
- Baby flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- Combine crushed garlic, oil, flat-leaf parsley and basil in a bowl and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Place eggplant slices on an oven tray and brush generously with herb mixture. Grill for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a shallow 28cm x 32cm baking dish, arrange a line of potatoes slightly overlapping, then line alternately with tomatoes, zucchini and eggplant, repeating the sequence to fill the dish.
- Tuck gruyere slices between the different vegetables and brush with three-quarters of the remaining herb mixture.
- Bake tian on the top shelf in the oven for 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender and browned around edges.
- Brush with remaining herb mixture, and serve hot or at room temperature, scattered with baby flat-leaf parsley.