Ingredients (makes 2 cups):
- 6 x 400g cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled, halved
- 8 sprigs fresh oregano
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Olive oil, to store
- Preheat oven to 140C/120C fan-forced.
- Drain tomatoes. Cut each tomato in half lengthways. Pat tomatoes dry with paper towel. Transfer to 2 large rimmed baking trays, arranging tomatoes cut-side up in a single layer.
- Add garlic, oregano and thyme to trays. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Bake for 2 hours or until tomatoes have collapsed. Set aside to cool. Remove and discard oregano, thyme and garlic.
- Transfer tomatoes to an airtight container. Add enough olive oil to cover tomatoes. Refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- When ready to use, remove tomatoes from oil and pat dry with paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Add to stews, soups, frittatas, pasta dishes, salads and dressings.