These mushroom and lentil cakes are as healthy as they are tasty. Low GI, low in fat and a great source of protein for vegetarians.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- ½ cup/100g dried red lentils
- 2 cups/150g mushrooms, sliced
- 2/3 cup/75g walnuts, chopped
- 1 medium onion
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs/Italian seasoning
- Cook the lentils in boiling water for 10 minutes, skim off any scum then simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile finely chop the onion, mushrooms and walnuts.
- Drain the lentils, then when cooled combine with all the other ingredients in a mixing bowl. Use your hands to mix the ingredients together.
- Lightly grease a baking tray with a little butter. Form the mixture into four evenly sized cakes using a pastry cutter or similar and place them on the greased baking tray. Cook at 180°C for 25-30 minutes.
- Roast some sweet potatoes, carrots and cherry tomatoes and serve together with the cakes and sugar snap peas.
- They are particularly good when served with vegetable gravy.