Ingredients (6 – 8 servings):
- 1Kg red beets, medium sized, scrubbed clean, green tops removed
- Olive oil
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil. Place the beets in the pan. Rub olive oil over the beets, and sprinkle with salt.
- Cover the beets with another sheet of aluminum foil. Roast for 1 to 2 hours, depending on the size of the beets and how old they are.
- After 1 hour, test every fifteen minutes by poking a beet with the tines of a fork. Once the fork tines go in easily, the beets are tender and cooked. Remove from the oven.
- While the beets are cooling, prepare the balsamic glaze. In a small, shallow sauté pan, add the balsamic vinegar and sugar. Heat on high until the vinegar has reduced to a syrup consistency. Remove from heat.
- After the beets have cooled for several minutes, but is still warm to the touch, peel off the outer skins and discard. Cut the beets into quarters or more, bite-sized pieces.
- Place beets in a serving bowl. Pour balsamic glaze over the beets.
- Stir in grated orange zest, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a little orange zest to serve.