Ingredients (serve 4):
- 2 eggplants cut into 3-4cm chunks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 250g mozzarella or buffalo mozzarella, torn into chunks
- Basil or rocket leaves, to serve
For the basil Dressing:
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 220°C and line a baking tray with baking paper for easy clean-up.
- Toss eggplants with oil, honey, salt and pepper, arrange in a single layer on prepared tray and bake until golden and tender (about 20 minutes).
- Place whole red peppers in the oven to roast at the same time as the eggplants.
- While eggplants and peppers are cooking, make the Basil Dressing by placing basil leaves in a sieve and pouring over boiling water to wilt.
- Cool at once under running water, drain, then whizz in a food processor with oil, garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove eggplants and peppers from oven, cover with baking paper and a tea towel and allow to cool.
- Peel and deseed cooled peppers and tear into strips. Toss in a serving bowl with eggplants, tomatoes, mozzarella, salt and pepper.
- Top with basil or rocket leaves, drizzle with Basil Dressing and serve at room temperature.