- 1 (±400g) can of black beans, thoroughly rinsed, and drained (or 1½ cup of freshly cooked black beans)
- 1½ cups frozen corn, defrosted (or fresh corn, parboiled, drained and cooled)
- ½ cup chopped green onions or shallots
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced, or 1 whole pickled jalapeño pepper, minced (not seeded)
- 3 fresh plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (about the amount of juice from one lime)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ to 1 teaspoon of sugar (to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, onions, jalapeno chile peppers, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, basil, lime juice and olive oil.
- Add sugar and salt and pepper to taste. (The sugar will help balance the acidity from the tomatoes and lime juice.)
- Chill before serving.
Make sure to rinse and drain the beans, if you are using canned beans.