Tender chicken thighs are given an Asian inspired twist in this succulent yoghurt-rubbed chicken with tomato lentils recipe.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
- ½ cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 bunch coriander, washed, dried
- ½ cup low-fat plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 small red chilli, chopped (optional)
- 500g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Spray a saucepan with oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add onion, cumin, half the garlic and 1 teaspoon turmeric. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add lentils and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and 2 cups cold water. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until sauce comes to the boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, remove leaves from coriander and set aside.
- Roughly chop stems and roots. Combine with yoghurt, paprika, chilli, remaining garlic and remaining turmeric in a bowl.
- Add chicken and turn to coat.
- Spray a large, non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat.
- Cook chicken for 10 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Stir coriander leaves into lentil mixture.
- Divide chicken among plates.
- Serve with tomato lentils and lemon wedges.