Ingredients (serves 3):
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- ±600g ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped or 1 X 400g can of diced tomatoes
- 6 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
“The trick is to simmer the tomato and onion sauce for at least a half an hour before adding the eggs.”
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in a non-stick skillet. Add the onions and cook until translucent, just starting to turn golden in color, about 6 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook over low heat until the liquid evaporates, about 40 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl until well blended. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add the eggs to the tomato and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, and scraping from the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat as soon as the eggs begin to set, but are still moist, about 3 minutes. Turn out onto a serving plate.
- Serve immediately.