Heart friendly and low fat, this version of a paella is so easy to make it will become a firm favorite in no time!
Preparation Time (15 minutes)
Cooking Time (45 minutes)
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 6 (about 600g) chicken breasts, halved
- 1 large red onion, halved, cut into thin wedges
- 1 red (“green pepper”) capsicum, deseeded, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 330g (1½ cups) brown rice
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground smoked paprika
- Large pinch of saffron threads (optional)
- 1L (4 cups) chicken stock
- 125ml (½ cup) water
- 1 x 300g pkt frozen broad beans, thawed, peeled
- 150g (1 cup) frozen baby peas
- 1 tbs fresh thyme leaves
- Heat the oil in a 30cm (base measurement) non-stick paella pan or frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook, turning, for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion, capsicum and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the rice, tomato, paprika and saffron and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until combined.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, without stirring, for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the rice mixture and cook for 10 minutes or until almost all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add water and sprinkle over the broad beans, peas and thyme. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until the rice is tender and all liquid has been absorbed.
- Season the paella with salt and pepper and divide among serving plates to serve.