Put on a Greek feast to share with the whole family with this lemon-and-herb barbecued chicken, cheesy polenta and feta-topped tomato and olive salad.
Ingredients (serves 8):
- 2 x 1.3kg whole fresh chickens
- 2 small red onions, coarsely grated
- 2 bunches fresh oregano, leaves picked, chopped
- 2 tbs finely grated lemon rind
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 long fresh green chillies, seeded, finely chopped
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- Olive oil, to grease
- Fresh oregano sprigs (optional), to serve
- Rinse 1 chicken inside and out under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Place, breast-side down, on a clean work surface. Use sharp kitchen scissors to cut along either side of the backbone.
- Discard backbone. Turn the chicken and open. Press to flatten.
- Place in a glass or ceramic dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the onion, chopped oregano, lemon rind, garlic, chilli and oil in a bowl.
- Spread the mixture over the chickens. Set aside for 10 minutes to marinate.
- Preheat a barbecue flat plate on high. Brush with oil.
- Cook the chickens, skin-side down, on barbecue for 10 minutes or until browned.
- Turn and cook for a further 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cut into pieces and place on a serving platter.
- Top with oregano sprigs, if desired.