A warming and delicious cool weather soup, this hearty lentil and chicken soup will leave you feeling souper!
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 chicken breast fillets (185g each), cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 2 tbs barley
- 5 cups (1.25 litres) chicken stock
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbs thick plain yoghurt
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat.
- Cook the onion, garlic and chilli for 4-5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the chicken and stir over the heat to sear.
- Add the turmeric and cumin and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato, lentils, pearl barley and stock to the saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir through the lime juice.
- Serve with a dollop of yoghurt and fresh coriander.