Master the art of roasting a chicken to perfection so that it has a crunchy skin on the outside and juicy, tender meat underneath.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- ±1.6kg whole chicken
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Lightly grease a roasting pan. Place a wire rack into roasting pan.
- Trim excess fat from chicken. Discard neck. Rinse chicken (including cavity) under cold running water. Pat-dry with paper towels. Season cavity with salt and pepper.
- Gently squeeze the juice from half the lemon over chicken, rubbing juice into skin.
- Place both lemon halves into chicken cavity. Tie legs together with kitchen string.
- Brush both sides of chicken with oil. Season chicken all over with salt and pepper.
- Place, breast-side up, onto rack in roasting pan. Roast for 1 hour or until juices run clear when chicken thigh is pierced with a skewer.
- Stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Serve with roast vegetables, if desired.