Grilled Chicken Ingredients:
- Juice of 4-5 limes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup+ (more to taste) chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red onion, halved then sliced into 1/4” strips
Black Bean Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 ±400g can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 Liter filtered water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic (minced and crushed – I use a garlic press)
- Stems from one bunch of cilantro, finely chopped (approx. 1/2 cup)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, oregano, salt and pepper in a glass bowl and mix well.
- Trim the chicken breasts, then add to the marinade. Cover lightly and marinate, turning the chicken occasionally, for 2 hours at room temp (or overnight in the fridge).
- Prepare Black Bean Sauce while chicken is marinating. Place beans in a large sauce-pan or soup pan, and add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 1½ hours. Add additional water if needed.
- Remove bay leaves, then transfer the bean mixture to a food processor. Process well, adding water if needed to make desired consistency. (I haven’t needed to add any, and I like the sauce moderately thick).
- Preheat oven to 180°C, and prepare grill (gas or hot coals). Place the red onion slices in the bottom of a shallow, oven-proof dish, then cover with chicken breasts and marinade.
- Cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil, then bake for 15-20 minutes (only until the chicken is opaque).
- Remove the chicken breasts to a platter and set aside.
- Continue to cook the onions in the marinade (covered) for 10 minutes. Save the marinade for grilling.
- Place the chicken breasts on the grill over very hot coals or gas flame, and grill until they are thoroughly cooked but still moist (approximately 2 minutes on each side).
- Drizzle with remaining marinade while cooking. Remove to platter when grilled.
- Serve the grilled chicken with the red onions, drizzle with the black bean sauce.
- Garnish with sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes or fresh cilantro – or serve with a leafy green side salad – as desired.