Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 Chicken Breast Fillets
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, leaves intact, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup grated parmesan, to serve
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Place the lentils in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Bring the stock and water to the boil in the saucepan over high heat.
- Remove from heat and add chicken. Place over low heat and simmer, covered, for 15 mins or until cooked. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Increase heat to high. Add the lentils, tomato, onion, celery, carrot and bay leaf. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 45-50 mins or until lentils are tender. Season to taste.
- Shred the chicken and return to the soup.
- Ladle among bowls. Top with parmesan and parsley.