Ingredients (serve 4):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.6kg whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 8 French shallots, peeled
- 250ml (1 cup) dry sherry (optional)
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 175g (1 cup) kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Heat oil in a casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken, turning, for 6 minutes or until brown.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from heat. Pour over sherry (optional) and stock.
- Add the olives, capers and garlic. Sprinkle with paprika, oregano and thyme. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover. Bake for a further 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.