Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 chicken thighs and 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g lentils
- 750ml hot chicken stock
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Small bunch parsley, chopped
- Green vegetables, to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole. Season the chicken pieces, then brown in the hot oil for 3 mins each side, until golden on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Pour away all but 1 tbsp oil. Add the onion to the pan and cook for 5 mins, then add the garlic and cook for 1 min more.
- Add the lentils and stock and stir well. Put the chicken on top, put the lid on and leave to simmer over a medium heat for 30 mins.
- Remove the lid and increase the heat. Bubble for another 20 mins until the lentils are tender, most of the stock has been absorbed, and the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the crème fraîche, lemon zest and juice, mustard, parsley and seasoning.
- Serve with green veg, if you like.