Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 tbs olive or grape seed oil
- 80g (½ cup) raw cashews
- 6 (about 800g) chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 12 fresh red & green bird’s eye chillies
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 125g (¾ cup) palm sugar, finely chopped 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs vinegar
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- ½ cup basil leaves, with flowers
- Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a wok over high heat. Add the cashews and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat half the remaining oil in the wok over high heat until just smoking. Add one-quarter of the chicken and stir-fry for 3 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Transfer to a bowl. Repeat in 3 more batches with remaining chicken.
- Heat remaining oil in the wok over high heat. Add the onion, chilli, ginger and garlic. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Add sugar, fish sauce, vinegar and soy sauce to the wok. Bring to the boil. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until mixture thickens and is reduced by half.
- Return chicken and onion mixture to wok. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until warmed through.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle with cashews, basil leaves and basil flowers.