Ingredients (4 servings):
- ±1.4kg whole chicken
- Fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
For the marinade:
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 4 coriander roots, scraped, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- For the marinade, place caraway and cumin in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook, shaking the pan, for 3 minutes or until aromatic.
- Transfer to a mortar. Add paprika. Season. Pound with a pestle until coarsely ground.
- Add coriander, garlic, chilli and zest. Pound until a coarse paste forms. Stir in honey and oil. Set aside.
- Place chicken, breast-side down, on a work surface. Use kitchen scissors to cut along either side of backbone and discard. Turn over and push down to flatten.
- Remove wing tips. Transfer to a ceramic dish. Add marinade. Turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in fridge for 2 hours.
- Wrap 2 bricks in 2 layers of foil. Remove chicken from fridge. Set aside for 1 hour.
- Place chicken on hot barbecue grill, reserving marinade, skin-side down on flat plate. Top with bricks (covered with foil). Cook for 5-10 minutes or until just brown. Turn. Top with bricks.
- Cook, turning and basting with marinade twice, for 20 minutes.
- Cook for a further 15 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Cut into quarters.
- Serve with coriander and lemon wedges.