This basic mince is a good standby to have in the freezer and defrost on the nights when you don’t feel like cooking.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper (capsicum), deseeded, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper (capsicum), deseeded, finely diced
- 1kg lean beef mince
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and red and green capsicum. Cook for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned.
- Add tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until thick.
- Use immediately or allow to cool completely then freeze for up to 3 months in a container just large enough to hold mince.