Ingredients (4 servings):
- ±1.6kg whole chicken
- 6 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 3 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 red birdseye chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sliced tomato salad and lemon halves, to serve
- Rinse chicken (including cavity) under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel. Place chicken on a board, breast-side down, and cavity facing towards you.
- Using kitchen scissors, cut along both sides of backbone and discard. Open up chicken and turn over. Press down with heel of hand to flatten. Using a sharp knife, make 1 or 2 slits through thickest part of chicken thighs and breast.
- Combine garlic, lemon rind, olive oil, oregano and half the chilli in a small bowl.
- Place chicken in a large glass or ceramic dish. Rub garlic mixture all over chicken. Season with pepper. Cover, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and remaining chilli in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a barbecue grill on medium. Season chicken with salt. Cook chicken, skin-side down, for 5 minutes or until skin is crisp and golden. Turn chicken. Cook, with barbecue lid closed, for 30 to 35 minutes or until cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut chicken into portions. Drizzle with dressing.
- Serve with tomato salad and lemon halves.