Slow cooked lamb shanks are paired with fragrant star anise and sweet potato providing a wholesome and satisfying winter meal.
Ingredients (4 to 6 servings):
- 4 trimmed lamb shanks
- 2 red onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbs no-added-salt tomato paste
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 400g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 tsp tamari
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Baby coriander leaves, to serve
- Steamed broccolini, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan forced.
- Heat a large flameproof casserole dish over high heat. Spray with olive oil. Cook lamb shanks in 2 batches for 1-2 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Spray casserole dish with olive oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic, ginger, star anise and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Stir in tomato paste for 1 minute. Add lamb shanks, stock, water and tomato to pan. Bring to boil. Cover.
- Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes. Add sweet potato. Bake, covered, for a further 1 hour or until lamb is very tender.
- Stir in tamari and lime juice. Season with pepper. Sprinkle with coriander.
- Serve with broccolini.