Ingredients (makes 6 cups):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium brown onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large red capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 750g beef mince
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot, capsicum and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add tomatoes, stock and paste. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove cover. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened.