This bold green sauce comes together in a flash in the food processor.
Garlic, capers and anchovy add complexity to a lively puree of parsley and basil. You’ll have some salsa Verde left over, so enjoy it on chicken, fish or vegetables as well as the beef in this recipe. This is a sauce you will want to keep in your recipe repertoire.
Ingredients (Serves 4 to 6):
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- ½ cup basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 anchovy fillet, cut into pieces
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 750g sirloin steak
- 5 cups mixed greens
- In a food processor, purée parsley, basil, garlic, capers and anchovy fillet.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Slowly add olive oil, pulsing until completely combined.
- Add lime juice and pepper. Process until blended and the sauce is smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. The anchovy will contribute salt, so additional salt may not be needed.
- Set sauce aside.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper and grill, broil or pan fry to your liking.
- Slice it thinly and drizzle with salsa verde.
- Serve over greens.
Per serving of salsa verde (About 2 Tbsp/22g-wt.):
- 130 calories (130 from fat)
- 14g total fat, 2g saturated fat
- 0g protein
- 1g total carbohydrate (0g dietary fiber, 0g sugar)
- 0mg cholesterol
- 60mg sodium
Per serving of sirloin and field greens (About 7oz/192g-wt.):
- 240 calories (80 from fat)
- 9g total fat
- 3.5g saturated fat
- 37g protein
- 2g total carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 0g sugar)
- 140mg cholesterol
- 370mg sodium