Ingredients (serve 4):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (650g) beef or veal shanks (osso bucco) (Shank discs)
- 2 large carrots, peeled, roughly chopped
- 410g can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shanks. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes each side or until browned.
- Add carrot, tomato and ½ cup cold water. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Add thyme and beans. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through.