Ingredients (makes 10 to 20 meatballs):
- 500g extra lean beef mince
- 1 brown onion, coarsely grated
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 small zucchini (baby marrow), ends trimmed, coarsely grated
- ¼ cup (60ml) reduced-salt tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1 cup (80g) coarsely grated light cheddar
- ¼ cup (40g) plain flour
- ¾ cup (70g) dried (packaged) multigrain breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Combine the beef, onion, carrot, zucchini, tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, cheddar and flour into a medium bowl and use your hands to combine.
- Roll tablespoonful of the mixture into balls and place on an oven tray.
- Place the breadcrumbs on a plate. Roll each meatball in breadcrumbs to lightly coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add half the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Repeat with remaining meatballs.
- Serve immediately.