Our cheesy meatballs in sauce is packed with veggies for a healthy boost that will keep your family’s taste buds satisfied!
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 100g piece tasty cheese, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 medium baby marrow, grated
- 500g tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 tomato paste
- 2 beef stock cubes
- Combine mince, onion, basil, egg and breadcrumbs in a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper. Shape 1 tablespoon mixture into a flat round. Place 1 cheese cube in centre of round. Shape mixture around cheese to form a ball.
- Repeat with remaining mixture and cheese.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs, in batches, turning, for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned.
- Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil.
- Heat remaining oil in pan. Add celery, carrot and zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until celery starts to soften.
- Add tomato. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, crumbled stock cubes and 1 cup cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered for 30 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Return meatballs to pan. Simmer, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.