Ingredients (8 servings):
For the bolognese:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium brown onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large red capsicum (bell pepper), finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 750g lean beef mince
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup Beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
For the eggplant:
- 4 (500g each) eggplants
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2/3 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- Small fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Make bolognese: Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot, capsicum and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add tomatoes, stock and paste. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Pierce eggplant several times with a fork. Spray all over with oil. Place on prepared tray. Bake for 40 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
- Cut eggplants in half lengthways. Using a spoon, scoop flesh from the eggplant halves, leaving a 1cm border. Finely chop.
- Combine bolognese, shredded basil and chopped eggplant in a medium bowl.
- Place eggplant halves on baking tray. Spoon bolognese mixture into eggplant. Sprinkle with parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve sprinkled with basil leaves.