Hearty comfort meets healthy eating in this delicious beef stew, which is full of vegetables for extra nutrition.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 cup dried white beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 800g beef chuck steak, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g button mushrooms, halved
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup beef stock
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), chopped
- ½ bunch spinach, trimmed, shredded
- Place beans in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside for 1 hour. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add half the beef. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned.
- Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and garlic to pan. Cook for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add mushroom and wine. Bring to the boil.
- Return beef and juices to pan. Add tomato, stock and capsicum. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Add beans. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until beef is tender.
- Stir in spinach. Cook for 5 minutes or until wilted.